Summer school has its pros and cons. It provides us students with the opportunity to get courses out of the way faster and speed up our time to graduation. However, it’s not always easy for everyone to actually commit to taking courses during the summer. Even for those eager students who are determined to finish their courses, it can be tough to focus when it’s nice and sunny outside. After all, almost anything is harder than taking a few months off to relax.
Spring/Summer classes also tend to be condensed, which means you have to be really determined and focused! Here are my top tips to help those who are taking courses this summer.
- If you are retaking a course in the summer term, review your old course notes. You’ll be surprised how much quicker the information sinks in when you’re covering it a second time.
- Take excellent notes. Since the courses are accelerated, having a good set of notes on each topic will help you stay up to date and make studying much easier.
- Don’t procrastinate! Assignments and midterms will approach quicker than in the Fall and Winter semesters, and you don’t have time to push studying to the side.
- Attend your classes. If you only have a month and half of classes, it is so important to attend the lectures because the professor is going to cover more material in each class than he or she would in the Fall or Winter. You don’t want to fall behind. Missing a class might be the equivalent to missing weeks of classes in a regular term!
- Enjoy the nice weather! Use that sunshine to your advantage. If you spend all your time cramming indoors and not taking any breaks, you will just end up exhausted and drained. Try bringing your laptop or books outside!
- Make sure to participate in the class. You will learn more if you are engaged in the course, and it’s easier to get distracted and doze off in class when you would rather be enjoying the sun. By staying engaged and participating, you will remain alert and learning.
What are your tips for getting through Spring/Summer School? Share them with us in the comments below or on social media!